Jiří Kovařík13. 10. 1932, Plzeň – 27. 10. 1994, Plzeň
He exhibited in Plzeň independently from the end of the 1950’s and his works were systematically followed and reviewed by the leading Plzeň critic Bohumil Polan. In 1965 he exhibited in Prague (Mánes Club). During the so-called normalization period (following the invasion of the armies of the Warsaw Pact countries to Czechoslovakia in 1968) the artist was forbidden to exhibit anywhere and participate in any public orders, which he had otherwise implemented at the end of the 1950’s and in the 1960’s in Plzeň and the Plzeň Region (such as the vitrages of station concourses in Mariánské Lázně and Beroun from 1965, from 1968 respectively, or the mosaic of the Bohemia restaurant in Plzeň from 1967). Exceptions to the ban imposed on him were represented by frescoes for the cemetery and church front at Albrechtice (1973 – 1976) and a mosaic in the hall of the one-time District National Committee in Písek (1977). Jiří Kovařík was the key artist present at the exhibition Other Reality. Magic Realism and Imaginative Art in Plzeň’s Artistic Works (2008 – 2009) from the cycle of exhibitions dedicated to the history of Plzeň modern art, which was held in the Gallery of the City of Plzeň. You can find his works in the collections of the West Bohemian Gallery in Plzeň, Art Gallery in Karlovy Vary or the Aleš South Bohemian Gallery at Hluboká nad Vltavou.
© Artotéka města Plzně